Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Compatible CMI Audio Config 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyfour

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
CA
I am preparing to upgrade my Windows 98 to XP Home. The upgrade report indicates I need to obtain an XP compatible version of CMI Audio Config. Can't find on Google or elsewhere. Can anyone help?

Identify your Sound Card, go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have suitable XP drivers available. Proceed with your upgrade and install the XP drivers later.

Personally I wouldn't go down the upgrade path at all, rather I would clean install XP on to a freshly formatted NTFS partition. You will be asked to show XP your 98 CD as a Qualifying Product (during Setup), otherwise it is just a normal clean install.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

Your 98 settings, and files, can be carried over via the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard prior to any clean install.

FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back