Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp command line ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DozAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2008
US
looking to help someone run an ftp script. Firewall is Cisco 5055, I suspect it is the problem, but not sure.

users can ftp with IE or ftp program but are not able to ftp with a fpt command line. New software requires ftp script to run for updates.

I've tested with ftp.microsoft.com and I'm unable to "get" a file, times out every time.

are you inspecting the ftp traffic?? try connecting using passive ftp

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

The built in XP / ftp.exe program uses a strange port config. If I remember correctly it uses 21 as normal but when the connection is made it wants 1063 - I'm not sure of the port - but it needs another port additionally. I was hoping the cisco could be configured to allow this.

I can replace the ftp.exe file, but then windows wants to put the original back. I was hoping there was a configuration or fix on the cisco

I think IE is setup to use passive FTP mode by default, so that's probably why it is working there.

The FTP command in the script likely uses active FTP mode and would be blocked by the firewall if inspection is disabled, as rico was alluding to.

By default the ASA should be inspecting FTP traffic, however make sure your config has the following commands:
Code:
policy-map global_policy
 class inspection_default
  inspect ftp 
service-policy global_policy global
If you already have that configuration then you will need to setup logging on the firewall to determine the issue.

Rich
Network Engineer - CCNA

It should have this too:
Code:
class-map inspection_default
 match default-inspection-traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back