Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Clients Restart slow off of a Windows 2000 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmz740

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2005
US
I recently took over a small network from an individual who was only with the company a short time. I am down to one of my final obstacles in trying to get this thing back in order. I have twelve XP clients running off of a server running Windows Server 2000. They start and or restart as slow as well let's just say slow. No matter what we have changed it has not made much difference. We have modified startup on the clients, we have changed the host files to reflect the server IP address etc.. most of the things you would think would slow the process down. The clients are free of virus and adware. I am just at a loss why machines with the kind of capabilty that these have are so slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At what point exactly are they slow? Getting to the login screen? After logging in and waiting for the desktop? At what point does this become an issue?

Enkrypted
A+

After login, it will sit and poll on applying computer settings, personal settings for around two and a half minutes. It is much the same way on shut down it takes forever for it to save settings.

On the XP stations:
Right click the Local Area Connection > Properties

Select the button in upper right corner labeled "Configure".
Select the "Power Management" tab.
Is this checked: "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

If it is, uncheck it and see if that helps.

There are some instances where this will happen. What you need to do is:

1. Open MMC and add group policy snap in (if it's not already added).
2. Go to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Logon
3. Look for the heading "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and set it to ENABLED.

You can send this out to your client machines from 2000 server by updating the standard policy template with the XP Policy template (since the steps listed above will only work in XP if you haven't already copied them to your server)

Let us know if this works for you.

Enkrypted
A+

I'm sorry MMC? I'm sure this is on the server but today has been one of those days. So basically I need to set up a policy on the server to effect this change on the client machines? Please let me knwo. Thanks!

That is correct. You can copy the policy setting from XP to your server and push it out via group policy or you can go to each XP machine that is having issues and make the change per computer. To get to the MMC console, go to Run and type MMC.

Enkrypted
A+

Enkrypted thanks for your input. I did not have time to try this today, it just seemed to get away from me. I want to be sure that I understood what you said. I will more than likely try it on one of the client machines first to see if it works then add the snap in on the server if it does. So on the clieent XP machine do the start, Run MMC, then go to computer config,admin templates, system, logon and then look for the setting you quoted before. Please excuse me it has been a very long day. Can you tell me if there is nothing there where you go to, I assume a network computer has settings that a standalone does not have. I looked at the MMC on my home notebook and the MMC was empty. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Enkrypted, I have checked the client machines at the facility and the MMC is blank as well. Can you give me a little OJT on how to create this snap in? Any help would be appreciated.

Start-run type MMC
File menu - add/remove snap-in
click Add
scroll down to Group Policy
Highlight Group Policy
Click Add
Click Browse
Look inside Domain and select your domain policy (default or one that you have configured)
Highlight that, click ok
Click Finish
Click Close
Click Ok

Theres your snapin

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

I am ok with creating a snap in. I just need to know how to create the one that enkrypted was referencing for the speed of the client machines.

once you've got the group policy snap in thats when you continue with what Encrypted put. (If I am referencing the correct one anyway)

Code:
Enkrypted (TechnicalUser) 12 Aug 05 14:50  
There are some instances where this will happen. What you need to do is: 

1. Open MMC and add group policy snap in (if it's not already added).
2. Go to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Logon
3. Look for the heading "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and set it to ENABLED.

You can send this out to your client machines from 2000 server by updating the standard policy template with the XP Policy template (since the steps listed above will only work in XP if you haven't already copied them to your server)

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Once I get to browse, a window comes up with this computer or another computer. When I mark this computer, and hit ok, it takes you back to the wizard window, you hit finish and it puts the group policy win the add remove snap in window. I guess the question is where do you get the information to set the policy refereced by Enkrypted? Maybe my client is missing something? Thanks for the help.

So when you hit browse - you do not even see the option to select your domain?

You are on the Domains/OUs tab right?

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

No, that is what confuses me. When you hit browse all you get is the window that comes up and has a selection of this computer or another computer.

Ok...all you should have to do at that point is hit the finish button (don't select browse).

That will add the Group Policy snap-in to the console. From there, follow the steps I posted above.

Enkrypted
A+

Strange, must be not connected to the domain at all.

Or it was and since it has lost it's info.

I had a very similiar problem like that when I formatted my server and remade the domain. And try as hard as I can I cannot recall the exact steps.

For me it was a DNS issue. The Active Directory was updating the DNS zone ok, just the clients were having problems connecting.

If you are at a command prompt - can you ping the following:

-server's name
-server's IP
-another XP machine by name
-another XP machine by IP

Naturally my documentation really lacked from when I had the issue. But if I remember I could ping my servers name in the situation.

on my network - yours of course varies.

I've got my router - DNS set to point to my server.
(my server runs IIS & DNS).

The DNS on my server has forwarders to my ISP's DNS servers. And set to listen on all interfaces.

My router gives out DHCP. And I have all clients set to receive IP & DNS Settings via DHCP.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Right before I took this job they replaced the hard drive on the server, that could be part of the problem. I have never been on a network where the clients start and shut down so slow.

I can ping the server by name, and IP. I can also ping other clients by name and IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back