Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client with NT Server profile problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpirvined

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm running a mixed environment of XP and NT clients and NT Servers.

I want the XP clients to be able to have the XP style appearance, but when I change the desktop settings to reflect this, when the user logs on again it has reverted to the Windows Classic style. Even on Admin accounts.

I think I'm missing something in either the system, default user or default computer policies, but I don't know what.

Any ideas?? Grateful for any help given.

Thanks

You could try this:

(1) Login to the XP Workstation as a user who has admin rights
(2) Setup the desktop environment the way you want (I.E setup desktop, printer connections, icons, etc)
(2A)copy the default user from c:\documents and settings to the desktop (to have a backup of original)(You may have to unhide so default user folder appears)
(3) delete the contents of the default user folder
(4)Logoff the user you are logged in as (the user who has admin rights)
(5)Login as the administrator to the workstation
(6) copy all the contents from the users profile (the user who you logged in as that had admin rights)(Copy from c:\documents and settings\) and copy this to the default user (c:\documents and settings\defaultuser)

* Now if you login as any user you should get the same screen as when you logged in as the user who had admin rights.

Let me know how you make out and if this works for you.

Hi Zoeythecat, thanks for the input. I've tried this and still doesn't work. I'm beginning to lose hope :-( ,but I am determined to get this thing sorted.

I think it must have something to do with domain rights overiding the local rights somewhere, because it works fine for local users, the problem only appears when logging onto the domain.

Thanks again,

Dave

Sorry I didn't help. I think you nailed it though that a domain policy must be overriding the local policy. Did not think about that. Hopefully you can track and see what domain policies are setup on your servers.

Zoey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back