Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client Cannot Connect to second VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelapt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
GB
I setup and configured an XP client on the same VLAN as our Win NT PDC. The client network card is setup to use DHCP. If I shutdown the client and move it to the second VLAN, it will not connect to the network. When I sign onto the client as the local administrator, IPCONFIG reports that DHCP has given the machine the correct network settings for VLAN2.
I have checked the DHCP and WINS leases on the PDC and they are correct. I can also ping the client on VLAN2, from the PDC on VLAN1 and viceversa.
The problem is affecting 3 clients which were totally wiped and reloaded with XP. Existing XP clients do not have this problem on VLAN2.
I have changed the network card to a new 3Com Etherlink XL.
I have also run through the Network Connect wizard which creates an account for the client on the domain.
Finally I flushed the WINS database and rebooted the server - but still no luck
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nigel

Sounds like you need to setup a DHCP relay on that VLAN.

My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back