Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp cannot contact dhcp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have an xp pro machine which used to be on my local network. The problem is even when the pc is connected to the my lan, when i try and renew the ip address (ipconfig /renew) i get the error message "cannot contact the dhcp server".

I have removed this pc from the lan but i still get the same error when i try to renew the ip address. Why am i getting such an error. I have reinstalled xp on this machine also and the error still occurrs.

Please help

My Top Seven Reasons for DHCP failures:

1. Your Winsock service stack is corrupted. Re-installing XP does not cure the issue. This utility will make short work of the problem:
2. You uninstalled Norton Antivirus.
3. Bad cable.

4. You have a firewall or Antivirus software that is misconfigured and is blocking the DHCP server response. Watch out for "hidden" firewalls in Antivirus software. PC-Illan, for example, has as its default installation a firewall component. Test with the Firewall disabled.

5. Bad or out-dated NIC drivers. Update the drivers.

6. Bad NIC, or Device Manager showing a NIC error.

7. The DHCP scope is exhausted on the DHCP server. Increase the scope on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back