Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggs

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
US
My computer crashed a few days ago with the error A file is missing or corrupted - Windows\system32\config\system

I reformated my computer and discovered new problems, I can't drag & drop on the desk top, I can't use my taskbar, and if I have more then two windows open I need to ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager. I don't need to close anything out, just open the task manager and close it then I can click on whichever window. Ocasionally my mouse will start to go on auto scroll, or my cursor will flash like crazy making it impossible for me to type. I've tried to reformat twice, once not installing SP2 & ran virus scans. Nothing seems to be working the problem always seems to be there.

I also tried to register my Works program and it said it was a invalid key when it was typed correctly. Any suggestions on how to repair? Thanks!

Sounds like a hardware problem - need to identify which item is causing it. Elimination is a common approach (disconnect as much as you can non-essential items - eg, sound, modem, network cards - if onboard, disable, CD/DVD drives, zip dices, scanners, printers. For RAM (a common cause), use 1 stick at a time if more than 1 - otherwise get hold of another known good stick. Swap out graphics card for known good. PSU & cpu also if possible). The idea being to get it running properly - then reconnect items until it isn't - that's the culprit. Bit of a nuisance if motherboard of course.

PS - This is NT forum - XP is forum779, hardware forum602

Sounds like keyboard or mouse, not an obvious choice but sounds similar to a problem i had once and the keyboard was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back