Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Boots off CD only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammic

MIS
Jan 4, 2002
GB
Hi I installed Xp pro, Now when I start the computer it asks for the XP cd (DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER)I place the cd in the drive it then starts windows XP can someone please explane

Have you got the BIOS set for booting from CD to have a higher preference to booting from the hard drive?

John

This message is likely if your BIOS has a problem autodetecting your hard disk drive. Often just going into the BIOS and reviewing, then saving, your settings will set things right.

You should follow jbarnett's advice and revise your Boot Device order while there.

The message is not asking for the XP CD, it is stating that none of your boot devices has an acceptable boot partition. Hopefully, the BIOS reset will solve this problem. Did you do anything to your hard disk drive as part of this upgrade to XP, like add a new drive or change some fundamental property of the existing drive?

Your hard drive is messed up. The bios can not find the boot files. Do a disk check to fix any errors, then do a repair install to fix the bad files.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back