Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIDIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
GB
I read the previous black screen posting and have a similar but more extreme problem.

The system was working fine last night. This morning on power up, POST'd normally, I have an audible anouncement of the Operating system starting but then I get a Black screen and a cursor and nothing. I can't even get it into safe mode.

The weird thing is using a utility Bart PE I can start the PC and run the file management utility within it and the C: drive behaves normally and even allows me to copy files to the other drive.

So it seems to me as though all the hardware is ok and the disc and files are intact.

Any ideas?

Try booting off the winxp cd, select the 'Recovery console'...try a fixboot and/or fixmbr from the cmd line (you'll need the local admin password)

Shad007 thanks Microsoft 314503 also recommends this, the problem I have is it won't start from the CD or from a Win XP boot disk.

I managed to create a set of XP Pro boot disks as I couldn't get the XP CD to run and managed to run the repair consol so that I could do both a fixmbr and a fixboot. They both seemed to run successfully but it made no difference at all the system will still not boot.

I am now trying to install again over the top but I think something is screwed somewhere in the file tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back