Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP backup program, will not run..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riv

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
AU
On small server using XP Pro, have gone through all the normal settings, etc to setup and enable the backup of the usual files, etc and have scheduled it to run Monday to Friday at a certain time.

The problem is that once it's all setup and one closes the backup down, when the time arrives to run the backup nothing happens. I've checked the settings again all the files that were ticked for backup have been 'unticked' though all other settings including the times and schedule, etc are there...just the various files become unticked.

I have tested this a few times and the unticking of the files always happens?

There are no greyed out problems where sometimes ones see a function that is greyed out and you are not able to modify it.
Have read the detailed tech manual, etc and followed all instructions but appear not to be able to solve this glitch!

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
River

Is there anything in event viewer? Does the user account that is trying to run ntbackup have a password?

Also, what does the scheduler log say?
I have found that you cannot run a scheduled task, even with a valid user if you don't actually log on to the desktop.
If your PC is set up to just click on the user name and it goes to the desktop it will not run the scheduler. At least for me, that is.
I have to log in at startup, then my tasks, like backup will run.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back