Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp automatic update everyday 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayddd

MIS
Nov 24, 2002
I am running XP Pro on my laptop at work- everyday when I turn it on it has updates to install. I always click and update and it says that it is finished. Next morning same thing- this happens everyday without exception.

It does not do this during the day if I reboot just in the morning. My computer at home is running XP Home and it has automatic updates once a week or so.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Ray

Not necessarily normal, Ray, but there is a way to turn off the annoying thing if you want to. You can always initiate an Automatic Update yourself if you want to from the Start Menu when you need it to stay updated, but then it wont come up every time you boot the machine and give you that wacky message.

Just right-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop, single-click on Properties and then single-click on the Automatic Updates tab. Take the check out of the box at the top of the screen that says "Keep my computer up to date...". Hit Apply and OK.

This will turn off the automatic updating and will still allow you to update every once in a while (I would recommend once every few weeks. Every week isnt necessarily necessary.)

Hope this helps.

Matt

If it is doing it every day then it must be broken. They must not be installing correctly. They do not come out with new ones every day. Do it manually once and see if they install correctly.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back