Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and win98se peer to peer network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojak

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
SG
I manage to setup a peer to peer network for xp and w98se and the xp can browse the w98computer while the w98 computer cannot browse the xp computer, it can only see the computer name on the same workgroup.

i am sure that i set the tcp/ip and file and printer sharing correctly. Even the shared folders are defined.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks......

i found this on another forum this may help?
>Have you installed File & Printer sharing on the W98se machine, and then gone into Windoze Explorer and set something to be shared? Needs to be enabled both places.<

WHOA! if your hard drive on the xp windows machine is NTSF format and your 98se is of course fat32 it will not read it i bet.

>Therefore, if you format a Windows 98 or Windows Me partition as FAT, and a Windows XP partition as NTFS, any files on the NTFS partition will not be available or visible if you try to access them while running Windows 98 or Windows Me. <

What happens when you try to browse the XP machine from the 98? NTFS has nothing to do with file sharing over a network, so you're alright there.

>>>imatthec (TechnicalUser) Aug 21, 2002
What happens when you try to browse the XP machine from the 98? NTFS has nothing to do with file sharing over a network, so you're alright there.<<

explain in detail please why would it not have anythng or NOTHING to do with ntfs formate harddrive, even tif xp website says it would..??

Aces00:

File sharing is handled by the operating systems in a network. The format of the drives is not relevant. If trying to access a drive locally (i.e. from a dual boot config) then yes, NTFS would not be accessible from a non-NT machine. If this were not so, win9x clients would not be able to access shares on an NT based server system.

Exactly, imatthec.

People seem to be getting confused between the fact that a FAT partition cannot read an NTFS partition on the same computer. But you can read data that is shared from an NTFS partition, over a network.

I cannot browse the xp computer but I can see it on the workgroup name under network neighborhood. The error is unable to browse that machine.

The shares are well defined and file and printer sharing is installed on all machines.

Thanks...

Note: I can view the 98 machine from xp but cannot if it is from 98 to xp.

make sure file and print sharing is turned on and enabled.. by default windows xp disables this, once its enabled y oull need to hare soem folders to see them.

Hi, Mojak.

XP networking is a pain.

If you can see the computer and have set up file sharing and have defined some shares then the problem is likely authorization. THe 98 machine has to log onto the XP. By default the XP has GUEST account disabled. However assuming the 98 machine is logged on as some user/password, set up the same user on the XP machine so it can get authenticated. Then you should be able to browse the shares on the XP machine or use its printers or whatever.

Having said that, I have had problems with 98 wkstns randomly being unable to print on XP-hosted printers to the extent I finally removed all shared printers from XP machines and attached them to NT servers or 98 machines.

This stuff makes my head hurt.

Brgds
Jock

I also have this problem. XP can always see 98 drives and printers, but 98 sometimes can and sometimes cannot see XP drives and printers (but sees the machine in network neighborhood). I never had any problem with 98, 95, and NT -- only when I added this XP box to my network. I have the same userid/password defined on all boxes, and file sharing on all boxes. Only difference is I only use IPX for file/printer sharing, not IP. I posted in another forum and was advised to dump the IPX, but based on this thread it appears that the protocol has nothing to do with it, symptoms appear identical with IP or IPX, just an XP issue.

I put a Sniffer on it, an older version with weak SMB decodes, seems like maybe it is a &quot;browser&quot; problem in XP. Anybody know of any bugs with browser elections, etc. in XP?

the funny thing is
just alst week or maybe the week beofre i set up a peer to peer network between a 98 machine adn a xp machine. I had no problems
however if i recall correctly, youll need the guest account enabled. in xp if you want to set up file or printsharing...also having the same user witht the same password might help as well ...

and jock...yes it does...but call me crazy...i love it LOL

Hi everyone!!
Well, it might seems unbelievable, but i have just the opposite problem!!! The 98 machine have no problems with accessing the XP machine, but when i try to access the 98 machine from XP the &quot;UNABLE TO BROWSE THE NETWORK&quot; error appears!! I tried for about a week to solve this problem but all my efforts were in vain...Seems to me that Microsoft did a very good joke with networking in XP, and all I can do is laugh!!
For instance, when you install Microsoft Windows XP, it should be more affordable than all the previous OSs!!
But, that´s life!!!

And, shadow71981, you´re not crazy!! I have the same symptoms!!

Hi everyone!!
Well, it might seems unbelievable, but i have just the opposite problem!!! The 98 machine have no problems with accessing the XP machine, but when i try to access the 98 machine from XP the &quot;UNABLE TO BROWSE THE NETWORK&quot; error appears!! I tried for about a week to solve this problem but all my efforts were in vain...Seems to me that Microsoft did a very good joke with networking in XP, and all I can do is laugh!!
For instance, when you install Microsoft Windows XP, it should be more affordable than all the previous OSs!!
But, that´s life!!!

Hi everyone!!
But, that´s life!!!

Hi everyone!!
But, that´s life!!!

And, shadow71981, you´re not crazy!! I have

Hi everyone!!
But, that´s life!!!

Hi everyone!!
But, that´s life!!!

And, shadow71981, you´re not crazy!! I have the same symptoms :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back