Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and WIN98 compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaTSCaN

MIS
Nov 21, 2001
CA
I want to run a dual boot of windows XP and Win98 for legacy reasons. What is the best way. Could I install it on the same HD or should I partition it and install on seperate partitions. Any tips would be helpful.

You must install the OS's on seperate partitions. Probably make three partitions, win98 partition about 2GB, XP partition about 4GB, software partition 2GB--->200GB whatever you need. Format win98 partition and software partition in FAT32 and install OS and apps, make sure your apps are installed in the third partition! Now install XP and let it format second partition in NTFS. Install/Re-install any apps you want for XP, again making sure they are going to the third partition. When you boot in Win98 you see only two partitions, and with XP you can see all three.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back