Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and VNC vs. Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I've got an in-house lan I want to work with, so none of this is open to the internet (via firewalls & such). I just want to take control of another machine from my main computer (as the other is hooked up to a tv only). I tried RealVNC which has great functionality, but the screen never updates, I constantly have to hit "Refresh Screen" to get the current view. Alternatively I was trying out the built in Remote Desktop which is great on the screen updates, but the down side is when you go back to the other computer, you have to log back in.

So, is there a better solution that encorporates the best of both worlds? The functionality of VNC software with the screen refresh abilities of Remote Desktop? As mentioned before, security is not a concern as I am not openning this up to connections through the internet, just the home lan.

Try PCAnywhere by Symantec. It works well and refresh is not a problem.

Cliff
A+

But Does PC Anywhere have a java enabled web viewer at port 5800 for over the internet remote connections without using a special client to connect? Basically unless you have PC anywhere on any PC your using as the client is the only way to use pc anywhere . Try using the browser way of connecting to the other PC using this format
it should say that its loading a java applet, type in VNC password and youre off.

I had that problem connecting to my house from my work. The VNC Client that comes with RealVNC did not connect but the browser way did

I've used VNC for years (on hundreds of machines) and the only reason you're having refresh problems is due to your settings. I'll never use pcnowhere again. Check the VNC websites for info on performance tuning your settings.

Good luck,

FredUG

Totally agree, VNC is great and so easy to set up and use. I have had it showing 12 desktops on one macjine with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back