Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and PC Speaker beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicEqualiser

Programmer
Dec 10, 2002
GB
How do you detect when an XP PC beeps the PC speaker (the little tinny mono one in the case, NOT the soundcard attached ones)? What Windows message(s) is queued?

No. This is not what I mean. Nothing to do with the BIOS beeping. Some programs beep the internal PC speaker. I would like a way of detecting whenever this internal speaker makes a sound, programmatically from another running Windows Application (for example, using PeekMessage or something). Any ideas?

Just make you a little pc speaker on a long wire and sit it on your desk all you need is a pc speaker from and old computer and some cable then you can sit the speaker close to you and figure out what is going on.

I was looking for a software solution, not some wires hanging out of my PC!

I have solved the problem by hooking Windows messages and filtering them to get the one I wanted, the PC speaker beep message. The techniques required coding at MFC level and using DLLs. Anyone wanting details about these advanced techniques should contact me at mark@jacobsm.com . It works beautifully. I used Borland C++ Builder to code it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back