Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and NT4 Server and Poledit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian18

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
GB
Can anyone help???

I have a NT 4 domain. Currently all workstations are win98, which downloads policies (POLEDIT).

I know you can lock down a XP machine through the local policy settings. Is there any way of XP users/groups picking up a policy from the NT 4 server?

XP will pick up policies from an Active Directory server, which is a domain controller, but I've never tried pulling policies from an NT4 server, so it may or may not work. Try creating a new group on the server with a distinct policy setting, then log on as a user in that group and see if the policy setting carries.

Cheers for replying Shaith, I've since found out that XP will pull policies from the NTlogon directory, policy needs to be named NTconfig.pol. Also you can use the group policy file. You need to access the policy file with notepad. Remove all line begining with #.

Ian18

Keep in mind though there are several XP settings that are not in the NTConfig.POL, so you won't be able to control some polices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back