Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp and 2 DNS servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

progressdll

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
BE
Xp and 2 DNS servers.

We have a internet connection via ADSL/firewall/gateway with an ISP.
As primary DNS server, we have set the DNS supplied by our ISP.

We our running a local DNS server ( on linux ) just to translate for our LAN.
So we have put the IP address of this linux machine as alternative DNS.

Now when we try ping address.at.out.linux ( just an example ).
The ping is not working.
It is using the ISP DNS server and that knows nothing of our LAN.

Why is the ping not trying for the alternative DNS server ( our local DNS ?)

Joeri

Some extra finding.

I was in the assumption that the alternative DNS is only
used when the primary is not responding. ( what is not the same as not resolving ). So my setup with 2 DNS servers can not work? correct?

But when i put our local first and the IPS's as alternative,
then i can ping local and it is using our local DNS and ping our isp newsserver and then it is using the ISP DNS. Why do i think this.

Well i removed the alternative DNS ( the isp's ) and now i can't ping the isp newsserver.

???? i am puzzled

I would keep the Local as your Primary DNS and the ISP as your secondary. Basically what happens is that when you send a request, it checks the first Domain name server in the list, then checks the second and so on. You could also use a hosts file which will of course be checked even before DNS.

You linux machine which is acting as a domain name server should be using your ISP as its dns. Then your local computers could get its dns from your local DNS and only it. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

jsauce is correct, the local one must be the first.
But ! Make it also your default Gateway, as a ping will always go to the default gateway.
Make sure the 'new' default gateway points his default gateway to the ISP, as well as his DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back