Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

1quickdraw

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
I am having problems getting stuff to work with XP pro 64 bit. I thought windows XP 64 would still allow 32 bit stuff to be loaded and run in 32 bit mode. However, I cnanot get my motorolla software to work to get info from my phone. I cannot get DVD shrink to work or DVD X copy to work. There are several other programs that wont load as well. Such as Pinnacle 9 which states it won't run on 64 bit system.

Do I need to turn someting on or ??? or am I just gonna have to live with this. I upgraded because I built a computer with a core 2 duo processor and it is a 64 bit CPU. I also added 4 gig of ram and XP 32 only recognizes up to 4 gig and most of the time it only sees 3.5 or so.

Any help is appreciated. I need to be able to run some 32 bit stuff here. If I can't, I may need to re install XP pro 32.

Unfortunately, even though 64-bit CPU support has been around for years, we are still stuck in a 32-bit world. The software that you mentioned is probably 32-bit, and hardware drivers will be less common also. While 64-bit is the future, you can't force things, and right now 32-bit still offers excellent throughput and speed and, most importantly, compatibility.

I would, at minimum, buy another hard drive (or partition the existing) and install a 32-bit version of XP Pro, around $110 today. This will give you right-now usability with the 32-bit and future-use or application-specific use with the 64-bit. Best of luck to you!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks Tony,

I had thought of that possibility and may yet Put another hard drive in, install XP 32 & boot from the 32 bit version.

Thanks for the response.

I've been running a test 64 bit XP machine for a couple of years - and haven't had any problems running 32 bit software (16 bit is another issue). I don't have motorola or pinnacle software so can't comment on them (nothing on their websites?) - but just wondering if they install drivers (some software does install drivers too) as well as software - because 64 bit drivers can be an issue (and if they do have drivers, they will be 32 bit, which won't work). Or, the 32 bit emulation has somehow got turned off (I can't remember what underpins this, but will look on my 64 bit machine & post back if I can find out)

Thanks Wolluf.

I understand the WOW64 is wuppose to allow my 32 bit apps to work but I am having difficulty getting them to run. I hadn't thought of the 16 bit problrm. I don't believe any of the software I am using is 16 bit.

Thanks for responding.

Steve

Have you seen the Pinnacle knowledge base - it says there are install problems on XP64 that they haven't issued a fix for yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back