Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP - 2K home network , file and internet sharing trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosterhus

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
I setup internet connnection sharing on my desktop with Windows 2000. I have a linksys 5 port switch that has the desktop and my XP laptop and an iMac plugged into it. The internet connection sharing works fine except if the XP laptop goes to sleep or even sits on screen save for more than 30 minutes or so it will not connect to the internet without a restart.

The other problem: The computers can see each other in Network Neighborhood but when you try to access them you get "network path cannot be found" or sometimes "not enough rights to this resource" I have made sure that the user I login as on the XP laptop is also a user on the win 2K desktop. I have TCP/IP, IPX, and NETBIOS installed on both computers. I have tried uninstalling and installing different protocols. I am tired of playing now I just want it to work.

Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back