Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP/2000 routing problems on VPN clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMcDermott

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2002
US
Hi all...

having trouble resolving Microsoft (XP & 2000 clients) routing problems on Cisco VPN (3000 Concentrator) clients. I've found the following article ( that describes my problem perfectly, but only offers a resolution to older (9x/NT 3.x/4) clients:

"...Microsoft routing problems can occur when a Cisco VPN Client (VPN 3000 Client, Cisco Secure VPN Client, or VPN 5000 Client) gets an IP address from the device terminating the tunnel (Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator, router, PIX Firewall, or VPN 5000 Concentrator) that is on the same network as the local Network Interface Card (NIC). This can occur if a user has a laptop on the corporate network with a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or static IP address (10.50.1.x), brings the laptop home, dials into an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and connects using the VPN Client. If the terminating device sends the VPN Client an IP address that is on the same network (10.50.1.x), the user cannot send any data over the client connection. The packets are sent to the NIC, instead of over the VPN connection, because the traffic is still routed out of the NIC. This problem occurs on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0.

Symptoms of this problem are that the VPN tunnel comes up, but the PC cannot pass traffic. A route print command still shows the DHCP or static address, or both. If the IP address was received through DHCP, the DHCP lease can be manually released."

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for XP/2000 clients, or another resolution altogether.

Thanks in Advance!

Kevin

Change the computer's IP address, or set it to DHCP. If it already is, release the address. I've heard of handling it through hardware profiles, but I've never bothered with that.

thanks, but I'm not certain that will work either...

for example:

if the user is set for DHCP, gets an address in the office, leaves the office, goes home & plugs into home network (also set to DHCP) gets a new address for home, then connects to VPN, gets another DHCP address from the VPN server (different subnet than when in the office), which address am I releasing?

the VPN box authenticates & gives him an address, allows to browse the web, but cannot access mail server...

???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back