Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMLToCursor but no cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkolva

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hi All,

I have a distributed app that retrieves data via http in xml and creates a cursor via XMLToCursor(). On one machine I have verified that it did indeed receive data but it's failing to create the cursor. I have verified that it is not the data that is causing the problem.

I have had the user re-install my application to no effect.

Anybody have an idea on what to check next?

Ralph

Ralph,

Just a guess ... are you sure you were looking for the cursor in the right data session? The cursor should be created in the data session that was in force at the time it was created.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Thanks for the quick response Mike,

Yeah, I specify what it should call the cursor and then see if it's used. The same app works on about a half dozen other machines but not this one. I'm thinking that maybe whatever component (dll ?) that VFP's function is wrapped around maybe didn't install properly. Any idea what that may be?

Ralph

Questions: How did you verify that it is not the data that is causing the problem? Are the 6 machines that it is working on is it the exact same code, pulling the exact same XML data? When you say that it fails to create the cursor, does this mean that it is simply returning 0, or is it erroring out in some fashion?

If you suspect that it is the VFP runtimes that are causing the problem, this is easy enough to verify, take the runtimes off one of the machines where your code is working and register them on the machine that isn't.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

Thanks for the reply and sorry to get back so late.

The program writes to a text file in a few key spots, one of which writes the xml stream that my WinHttp wrapper class recieves and which is passed to XmlToCursor. I also check for the existance of my workarea after the call to XmlToCursor and on this machine the workarea isn't created. My error handler is also not kicking in so I don't believe VFP is generating an error.

As for the runtimes; if they were the problem wouldn't the app experience other problems? So far the only thing that I can verify failing is the creation of a cursor.

Thanks again,

Ralph

While I don't have a vast experience with runtimes, and certainly not VFP runtimes, I have worked on a couple open-source projects that had to be updated every couple of weeks or so due to changes on the server. When the server would go down and come back up (program needed a patch to work completely) you could still use the old version of the program and parts of it would work correctly, sometimes almost all of it would work, other times none of it would work. So, all that was kind of a long-winded way of saying it might be possible for just that one thing to be broken because of the runtimes and everything else works ok.

Thanks for the reply Shenlon,

I've had the user reinstall the app several times but maybe I'll try compiling and burning another intallation copy for her to just in case it is one of the runtimes. My initial thought was that whatever windows component (DLL) is being called by XmlToCursor was causing the problem but maybe a fresh install will fix that as well.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Hope it all works out for you, let us know what worked/didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back