Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML stored in CLOB - repeating Nodes - how to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtoronto

Programmer
Jul 12, 2012
US
Hi folks:

I am very new to CLOB data - I have tried writing SQL that reads multiple occurrances of XML nodes stored within a clob. The problem is that some of the nodes repeat.

Below is my code, which works for XML structures with only one node (in the action tag), but I get the 19025 error when there are multiple nodes (ie: More than one action)

I am pasting the code below, followed by the XML structure that gives me the error. Note: I have pretty much tried using the existsnode, but I am not sure how to use it for reading multiple XML elements;

One last thing - I do not have priviledges to create functions, procs, or use the UTIL for file creation...

now the code:

select
i.customer_ow_id
, di_info
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/DIType') DI_Type
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/IsConditional') IsConditional
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Created') Created
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/LastModifiedDate') LastModifiedDate
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/LastModifiedBy') LastModifiedBy
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Tag') Tag
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Conditions/SuitTypeCond/SuitTypes/SuitType') SuitType
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/Tag') Action_Tag
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/ActionType') ActionType
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/What') What
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/How') How
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/Who') Who
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/FedExService') FedExService
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/ParticipantID') ParticipantID
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/CustomerId') CustomerId
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/ParticipantName') ParticipantName
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/CustomerName') CustomerName
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/AddrLine1') AddrLine1
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/AddrLine2') AddrLine2
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/City') City
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/State') State
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/Zip') Zip
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/Email') Email
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/Phone') Phone
, extractvalue(di_info,'/DI/Instructions/Instruction/Actions/Action/RecipientInfo/Fax')
from arrow.tdi d
, arrow.tdi_participant p
, gds.tbv_individual i
where d.di_id = p.di_id
and p.participant_id = i.individual_id
and rownum < 58

Here is the problem element -I didnot beautify it ... sorry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<DI xmlns:xsi=' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation=' Lenhard</ParticipantName><CustomerName>Southeast Subway Development Company, LLC</CustomerName><AddrLine1>4043 Baymeadows Road</AddrLine1><AddrLine2>#C</AddrLine2><City>Jacksonville</City><State>FL</State><Zip>32217-4638</Zip><Country>US</Country><Email></Email><Phone></Phone><Fax></Fax></RecipientInfo></Action></Actions></Instruction></Instructions></DI>

May I suggest that if you want help on this problem, you provide

a) Create table statements
b) insert data statements (minimum required to highlight the problem)
c) simplest possible SQL you are using to extract the data (i.e don't include extraneous columns, tables etc ...)
d) what output you're getting
e) what output you're expecting

In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back