Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML files reported as binary

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumbleSeeker

Programmer
Nov 29, 2002
GB
I'm using SourceSafe 2005 and VS.net 2005. When ever I commit a file to SourceSafe and try and do a compare in vs.net or view in SourceSafe I'm told that the file is a binary. But if I open the file it's normal text.

Does anyone know whats going on? and one step better know a solution so when I commit it as text it stays as text.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Humble Seeker
-----------------------------------------------------
The longest journey begins with the smallest step.

I don't have version 2005, but in version 6 you could just go to Tools->Options, switch to the File Types tab, and edit which file types are considered binary or not. You should try finding a similar option and if .xml is there then remove it from the list.

Once you remove it, if it doesn't fix the problem for an existing file, try adding another xml file and see if it considers it to be text or binary. When adding new files you can usually set whether it is text or binary yourself. This is hard to do when adding a bunch of files, but you should try it with one to see if it works. If it does, then you just have to go to the options for each xml file that has the problem and change it to text from binary manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back