Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML data split in excel, or use macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomp99

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
Hello,

I need help with splitting up data in XML blocks. I have an excel spreadsheet: 1st column contains number values (ids) and the 2nd column contains XML code snippets (like paragraphs that contains sets of data)

I want to have a 3rd, 4th, 5th column display the data from the categories inside the XML code.

Is there a macro that can look in the cell containing the XML and takes out the values and puts them in other cells?

Please help, I cant seem to make this work out of a spreadsheet. I tried linking excel to access and opening .xml text files in excel and cant seem to break up the XML all at once.

thanks!

I do think that excel is not really the right format to store xml: xml is.
Anyway, you could add a function that takes 2 arguments: a reference to a cell, and an xpath-expression.
This what you'd have to do:
add a module in your VB-editor.
Set a reference to msxml (I used msxml4, but msxmml3 will do also). You'll find references under 'extra' in the vb-editor.
paste this code:
Code:
Option Explicit

Public Function NodeValue(ByVal CellReference As Range, ByVal Xpath As String) As String

Dim objDom As MSXML2.DOMDocument
    Dim objNode As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNode
    Dim strResult As String

Set objDom = New MSXML2.DOMDocument40
    objDom.setProperty "SelectionLanguage", "XPath"
    If objDom.loadXML(CellReference.Text) Then
        Set objNode = objDom.selectSingleNode(Xpath)
        If objNode Is Nothing Then
            strResult = "no node found"
        Else
            strResult = objNode.Text
        End If
    Else
        strResult = "no valid xml"
    End If

NodeValue = strResult

End Function
In the excel-sheet you now can enter this formula in any cell:
=NodeValue(A1,"//mynode"), wich will print the node-value of the first "mynode" from the xml-text that is in cell A1.

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back