Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML based data exchanges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstickler

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2005
US
I have a couple of questions regarding E-Synergy and XML and Macola Progression. We are in talks with one of our suppliers about integrating some exchanges of data between our two companies. They mentioned using xml docs and as I understand it, Exact integrator uses xml to populate E-Synergy / Macola...is this correct? What is the extent of this? Could we utilize it to update PO Data and/or generate PO releases? I would also be interested in any true life examples that anyone may have regarding this sort of integration.

The Integrator does not provide the functionality for PO updates or releases. That said, there may be other viable options available to you.

Several things require clarification:
1. Obviously running Progression, but it is not clear in this post if you are also currently running e-Synergy already? (It sounds as if you might be, but as a stand-alone not integrated with Progression?)
2. If you have supplier-specific pricing/cost requirements related to the PO's, provide further detail.

Yes, we are on Progression. No, we have not yet installed E-Synergy, but are considering it and will probably integrate it with Progression.

Most of our items are purchased from a single supplier. In this example we do a high volume of many items from a certain supplier and want to closer integrate our inventory, purchasing and production planning systems so both parties can have more timely information and less human intervention. For example, say they are ready to ship us items...based on the PO data they have from us, they can submit a release for the qty against a prearranged monthly PO. Or say we want to move a required by date...we would need access to their production schedule so we could see if there is a possibility for them to meet the new dates. This vendor mentioned using xml files to get our data back and forth...which is what led me to asking about Integrator.

I'm really looking to hear if there are any other companies doing this sort of non standard data exchange.

You may want to investigate the use of EDI for this type of application. Be aware that some of the documents you want to exchange are not standard items that Macola Progression EDI supports. E.g. (outbound PO's and the one listed below) but there are EDI documents that do what you are intrested in: 830 - Planning schedule,862 shipping schedule, 846 Inventory inquiry) Your BP may be able to assist you with a solution.

XML is just a transport medium and you have to have a program on each end that can do something with it. We are currently building tools for a large supply chain management solution that performs the PO changes that you are requesting. The supply chain software sends information about changes to POs via XML which is then analyzed by an application that uses a set of objects we designed to update the POs in Macola Progression.

Scott Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back