Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMAS Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcastner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
That brand new computer you, a family member or friend got for Christmas unlikely has any recent security patches applied, inlcluding the blaster worm.

On some cable systems you will become infected within twenty minutes of connecting that computer if you do not at least enable the XP firewall.

Steps for a Happy Holiday computer:
. enable the ICF firewall before going on the internet;
. Your first internet site should be the Windows Update site and update that gift computer;
. If the computer gift did not come with an antivirus active scanner, consider installing a freeware one for the time being; AVG and Avast are well considered:
Happy Holidays

A good source of comparative reviews of firewall products, many of which are free,
Anyone have a good link for Antivirus products they can add to this thread?

Yes, there is a free anti-virus program I like to use, it is not as large as some but has been protecting quite well, it is called AntiVir Personal Edition. I was suprised when in the past it has caught some problems some other programs did not. It can be found at
It can be used from Win95 up to and including WinXp, give it a try

okiepc

hey bill, I take it you have tried out avast 4, i've been mentioning this product for months in posts!

and not to forget your ANTI-SPYware Software...

Ad-Aware 6, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, two damn goodies to have...

Firewall: ZoneAlarm (Private use is Free)

AntiVirus : AntiVir (as mentioned above, personal use is free), or Kapersky's AntiVirus (also for Personal Use is free)...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back