Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xls file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggiemama

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
I have received an important email with an xls file, and I am unable to open it. The warning message reads something like--"there is no program associated with this file. Go to my computer, view, and then folder options" OK now what? I have no idea what to do, and btw, I do not have excel. Will anything else work?

THank you so much

Mary

Save the file to your my documents folder.
Check that the file extension on the attachment is correct, it should be filename.xls. If its not, rename it and add the extension to the end of the file name. Alternatively try right clicking on the file choose open with and then choose excel.

I think you've got to have excel to open an xls file. If you could get it sent in csv format you could open it with another spreadsheet (lotus?) or ms access or other app supporting csv files. Older spreadsheets (multiplan) also support csv. You would loose any formatting, though, ending up with just the raw numbers in the speadsheet.

You may want to consider just springing for excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back