Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.xls File

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl17

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
I have Office 97 working On Windows 98-Second Edition, I am having a problem Trying To open a .xls file in Excel ,I get an error saying the Format is incorrect, Can some one help me with this problem ?

Are you sure it is an Excel file. It may have an xls extension, but may not be an excel file. Or it may be corrupt.

Try opening in wordpad and see what you get.

A.C.

Yes I am sure it is an .xls file it was generated from another PC using the same copy of Office 97, the file was gen. as save file on floppy but when I tried to open it on the other PC I get the error , the PC it was made from is not in the internet the one I am trying to cory it to is on DSL for my Buisness. IN fact the Office 97 on both PCs is off the same disk . Got me baffled ,Thank You For any help you might offer . I am desprate for this file

Just a shot but it acn't hurt.
In windows explorer. Find your file left click on it once to highlight it. While it's highlighted right click on it while holding the shift key down. Choose open with, scroll down until you find excel. Select it.Make sire that the box (always open with this program) in the bottom left corner is checked. checked. The one thing you can't buy is time. Yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back