Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XL2010 Data Validation List - Searchable Dropdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi Guys,

Any ideas on how to make a Data Validation Dropdown list searchable, ie Auto-Complete? I've got the DV list set to a list on another sheet called "DV_LIST" and it all works great, except that DV_LIST contains 235 items, and scrolling down leads to folks just picking the nearest match to their intended wording. The workbook is locked down by Admin, so using an Add-In is not permitted.

Apologies if this has been done to death already [blush]
Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

No way, DV list displays all available items and you have to pick one.
If you have hierarchical data you can use two (or more) lists with dynamic references - user selects item in first DV list and basing on the selection list (reference range) in the second DV changes.

combo

scrolling down leads to folks just picking the nearest match to their intended wording

What happens in vagueness, stays in vagueness.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Go with Combo's suggestion.[ ] Even if your choice list is not "hierarchical" you will probably be able to group the items alphabetically.[ ] The top level list could then be, say, A-C, D-F, …, U-Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back