Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XL 2000: Data Source Name not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

locutis

Programmer
Nov 3, 2006
US
Hello,

I've installed an Excel 2000 workbook on several machines (some 2000 some XP)with the following set-up and config:
MSQuery (using XLQuery.xla)
System DSN/ODBC to SQL Server 2000
MDAC 2.5 and later (up to 2.8)
Data sheet where I reference my queries/data
Display sheet where I display the query results

Sheet works fine and updates data with no problem on most machines. On a couple, however, when I refresh the sheet, I get:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

It does this for each time a query fires, but it never ends and it keeps prompting me to select a DSN/ODBC connection each time.

I have researched this deeply and still cannot figure out what's going on with these machines. I thought it might even be a permissions issue (the user also has to also be a local administrator for that machine) which is the case for each user, so at this point I'm not sure what to do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jean Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back