Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xl-1, transfer, adobe or me? Best settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZIX

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
US
I'm using a Cannon XL-1 camera, importing into Premiere via firewire at the largest, uncompressed super-hard-drive-eating size.

I have made triple-sure that my import and export settings match and blah blah blah.

My problem is that the image still seems very "video-ish."

There is a great deal of pixelation and aliasing. Any vertical or horizontal lines (siding, fencing) tends to jump around harshly... sometimes it's so ridiculous that it actually looks like a horror-movie effect!

I am aware that there will be some "blockiness" because it is, after all, video and at times it is completely my fault for filming in too low of light... but it just seems like it's more than it should be.

My final destination is DVD for playing on NTSC DVD/Television systems.
I have NO PROBLEM with hard-drive space.

What i'm asking for is a definitive "BEST SETTINGS" list if drive space and render time is not a factor. (or any other suggestions as to what i've missed.)

Thanks in advance!!!

Uncompressed avi with uncompressed sound. What are your export settings/project settings?

uncompressed = 10 megs per second on average.
so 30 seconds = 300 megs / 1 min = 600 megs etc.

Thank you for your reply Mr. Wizy...

I'm not in front of my machine right now but I do know that I am using uncompressed avi for capture and export.

Yes, the file sizes are huge but I've plenty of hard-drive space.

My biggest concern is with the blocky, zig-zaggy outlines i get between distinct colors (white over black.)

As I said, I have several scenes that appear in front of a building with siding and the horizontal lines dance around so much that it looks like monsters are kicking it from the inside!

Is this just something I should expect with video in general or am I doing something wrong?

Are you seeing the jaggies on a regular TV set ? (not your computer monitor )

There is a different between previewing on your comp than on your TV. Sometimes, I find what looks bad on the computer doesn't even show up on the TV when I do a preview.

Thank you again for the response!
I do preview with a plain-old television and, yes, it is much better than on the computer monitor. But it is still noticable and distracting.

Here's something interesting: From reading other comments around this site and others like it i've discovered that the Cannon XL-1 has less pixels than the Sony equivelant.

The XL-1 then makes up for this by artificially "sharpening" the images by actually drawing a line around distinct color blocks.

This could very well account for why vert and horiz lines appear ULTRA stark and jittery.

The good news is that you can't turn this feature off on the XL-1. Way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back