Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xircom Modem Mandriva 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorstarOption

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
I just installed Linux Mandriva and wondering if there is a way to make my Xircom Modem work with this OS?

Internal or external modem?

Internal it should have found during setup.

External (serial port) should have been connected and powered on during setup, otherwise connect it and power it on and see if it finds it if you do a system restart. USB it should find any time you plug it in and turn it on. It should set it up as a generic modem if it doesn't know what it is.

Otherwise if you know which COM port it's on (assume /dev/ttys0) go into 'configure my computer' under hardware and see if you can add it in manually. That's assuming you're running one of the graphical desktops like KDE.

I have a modem built in to the laptop and a modem from the PC card. Both modems are not working. Both ethernet ports are working.

Linux isn't always happy with internal modems - especially the so-called "WinModems" that are designed for special functionality with windows to offload some of the modem processing to the CPU. You may need to have an external modem. You may need to check CMOS on the PC and make sure the modem is enabled - also try to set it up for COM1 or COM2 because Linux will like that better. Hopefully there are no conflicts.

As for ethernet, it's kind of strange that most of today's ethernet ports would not be found. Try doing [ifup eth0] and see what kind of message you get. I'm not quite sure of the syntax without looking but you may also try something like [netstat eth0] and see what that says.

When you plug an ethernet cable into the port do you see heartbeat or activity lights of any Kind?

Thanks Donb, I have no problem with ethernet port. The OS recognized it. It is just the modem. I'm new to Linux and thanks for telling me about the winmodem.

I didn't read the ethernet thing right... sorry.

Note that it IS possible to still buy internal modems that have a full chipset on them, they are just considerably more expensive. If the cost seems really reasonable it is probably a winmodem, but it might say somewhere on the box which type it is. If the system requirements on the box say it's compatible with Linux (good luck) then you should be ok. External modems should be regardless.

if you are not using the modem, then forget it totally... then there is no need to get drivers for it or replace it...

read:

if your modem is the one below...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks Ben,

I think my modem belongs to the first URL Intel. I guess Linux is not for dummy like me. I used to double clicking on the setup file and everything loads itself. I'm hoping you can give a little informations on how to do this.

Again, thanks.

unfortunately I do not have that card nor the driver...

but generally, a TAR-Ball (extension TAR or TAR.GZ, e.g.), you would unpack the files into a folder, then open a terminal and navigate to that folder...

read:
How to install Linux / UNIX *.tar.gz tarball files

HOWTO: Install *.deb *.rpm and Source Code Files.

that should get you started...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks BEN,

I'll give it a shot. The driver I downloaded has a tar.gz extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back