Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XI CRCP Level 2 Question regarding Data Sources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixie2004

Technical User
Aug 23, 2004
US
Hi,

I am reading over Annette's book, and I'm on page 520 for those of you who have it and can help me with this one. The first thing she mentions, about Database Files is that they can only use indexed fields for linking, and that LOJ is the default. I tried this out with XI, and it seems this is not true. Actually, I thought this behavior stopped happening in v9, can anyone confirm? The other question I have is that it says SQL Server is only accessible via ODBC? I can't test this out and I'm wondering if this is true with XI?

Thanks.

Trixie,

You are correct about linking indexed fields in "Database Files". Indexed fields are not required for linking (in either version 10 or XI) and a left outer join is not the default link type. I apologize for the outdated information in the book. I've never seen this tested on the CRCP, but I regret the publication of erroneous information and any problems that readers may experience because of it.

SQL Server IS accessible ONLY via ODBC in version 10 and XI. There simply is no native or "direct access" driver shipped with CR. Of course, it could be argued that ODBC IS native access for SQL Server but that would get us into sematics hell. And when I say ONLY, it is in the context of native versus ODBC; you can access SQL Server via OLE DB and JDBC.

I am collecting all errata as uncovered by readers and verified by me and it will be posted on the osborne.com website and my website at sage-link.com.

Thanks for pointing out this problem,
Annette Harper

Hi Annette,

It's me again, the big pain. Just kidding! :) I went to your web site and noticed the error I found was also in your errata list. Duh. So, I think I found another error that was not in the file on your web site. I was trying out your example on the bottom of 477 to the top of 478, and received a few errors. I don't have the time at the moment to recreate the formulas. I got an error on the display formula on 478, because - I think - the second line of the formula should be stringvar array customernames;
The other error I was getting was because I think there were to many characters or something for the accumulation formula (p478). So I changed the value of the first line to 100000 and that made the formula work, but not quite as expected.

I was wondering if you, or anyone else who has the book, could provide me with any insight on these formulas to make them work properly, because I do think this would be an excellent example I could use.

Thanks.

Trixie,

You are right again. The second line of the display formula should use "CustomerNames" instead of "Names".

Other than that, it seems to work fine for me. If you're getting too many customer names you should verify that you're placing the formulas in the right sections. The example in the book assumes that you have a group on the customer name field. The accumulation formula should be placed in the group footer for that group. If you're using an initialization formula, it should be placed in the report header. And the display formula should be placed in the report footer.

Let me know if that fixes your problem.

Hello Annette,

I'd like to purchase your book for CRCP certification. What's your latest book for version XI?

Rgds,
pepperdec

The book has not yet been updated for XI. I am in discussions with the publisher currently about the best way to revise it. An additional chapter or two would be the quickest and least expensive, but does not address the fact that there are changes to the look of the application throughout and that the enhancements for XI would logically be scattered throughout.

Knowing that timiing is an issue, I've told them that I'm open to either approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back