Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xerox Phaser 8500 Maintenance Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamDC

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2006
US
I have a Xerox 8500 that needed to have its display replaced. A few weeks ago, the display was barely functioning, but I could see a faint "replace empty maintenance kit" error message. So, I put a new one in. The printer kept using the maintenance kit, but it didn't resolve anything.

A Xerox tech came in today to install a new display. Now the display is working fine, but it's still telling me I have an empty maintenance kit in the machine. Is it possible that the printer just isn't reading the kit properly, and I'll have to clean it? Will I have to install a brand new one now? Any help would be appreciated.

Usually this type of message is automatic once a printer achieves a preset number of hours of use and must be reset
with some sort of menu function. Do you have a manual?

It's my understanding from the tech who serviced our 8400 that there is a chip in the maintenance kit, and the printer keeps track or count. If you've replaced it with a new maint. kit, I would say that there's something wrong with the printer reading or communicating with that chip. What caused the display to fail--was there a power surge? Maybe that link was damaged, too.

You also might try posting in the Xerox/Tektronix forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back