Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xenserver 5.5 network load balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
I've had a look in the admin guide for info on configuring my network interfaces and I would like to load balance two NICs'. This is what it says:

XenServer supports Source Level Balancing (SLB) NIC bonding. SLB bonding:

•is an active/active mode, but only supports load-balancing of VM traffic across the physical NICs
•provides fail-over support for all other traffic types
•does not require switch support for Etherchannel or 802.3ad (LACP)
•load balances traffic between multiple interfaces at VM granularity by sending traffic through different interfaces based on the source MAC address of the packet
•is derived from the open source ALB mode and reuses the ALB capability to dynamically re-balance load across interfaces
Any given VIF will only use one of the links in the bond at a time. At startup no guarantees are made about the affinity of a given VIF to a link in the bond. However, for VIFs with high throughput, periodic rebalancing ensures that the load on the links is approximately equal.

They clearly don't support LACP but does the switch need any configuration for the NIC bond or do I just plug them both into ports on the same switch?

Thanks for any info.

just set the 2 NICS in bonding.
the switch doesn't need to know something.

i have this situation seen in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back