Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xedia/Lucent Routers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grazman

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
Anyone have any pointers for using these boxes for QOS only with the Ethernet interfaces?

I have a couple and wanted to implement a siolution, but it didn;t work well. I'd like to use them to set bandwidth per group of IP's and keep a couple of problem users from doing a lot of hogging.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

First determine if you want the box to be a router or a bridge. bridge is default
assign an ip address to one ethernet port:

add ip.1 address.x.x.x.x
(this assumes that your ethernet port is the first port)
now you could administer the box through a web-browser.
but if you prefer command line :

Enable both input and output roots on the specific interface like this:

config cbq.1 traffic-class.root-input-tree row-status active
config cbq.1 traffic-class.root-input-tree row-status active

root-input-tree is for traffic with destination towards the interface, root-output-tree is for traffic leaving the interface.

If you want to set bandwidth for a block of IP addresses :
create a class below the root.

config cbq.1 traffic-class.nnnn src-ip-addresses 10.1.1.0-10.1.1.50 band-width-allocation 128000 parent root-input-tree

where "nnnn" is the name you assign to this class.
10.1.1.0-10.1.1.50 is the range of IP's you want to use

create a "default" class to catch all other traffic, this is required, even if you assign it 0 bandwidth.

config cbq.1 traffic-class.rest-default band-width-allocation 0 parent root-input-tree

you could also create similar classes for the root-output-tree, if you need to control the traffic in both input and output.

There are many, many powerfull possibilities with CBQ, I suggest you read the manual. If you don't have the manual, let me know and I'll email you a pdf.

regards,
peter
pfischer@atmit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back