Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XDAII: Reduce SMS makes no different to RAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteriannetta

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2001
AU
Hi there,

I have an XDA II and wanted to free up some RAM to fit more software on it.

I'm a bit of a horder and had saved 3600 SMS messages on my device. So I acquired some software that exported the messages and now I have under 100 messages.

However, from what I can see, it has made absolutely no different in free RAM, which I find amazing. I have also noted that I have 7 x "MsgQueueDataFileMicrosoft..." files on my device, each were 2.7MB in size before the deletion, and the same size afterwards. I thought these files were message stores on my device but I must be wrong.

Anyway, if someone can shed some light on this subject or point me to a good resource on-line, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Pete

I don't know what the "MsgQueueDataFileMicrosoft..." files are but I do know that SMS messages are tiny and hardly take up any space. They're limited to 160 characters in size (although you can have longer messages by splitting them into several files), plus the header information (from, to, date sent etc.), which I guess would take them to about 250 bytes maximum. Even 3,600 of these would only take up 880k of memory, and then only if they were all maximum size.

The main things that eat up memory are running applications and installing things in main memory. I try to install as much as I can on the flash disk, as this isn't used for program memory.

The operating system manages memory automatically so I suspect that if you have a lot available it will allow applications to use it for temp files etc. I find that a soft reset now and then clears out any apps that are loaded into memory unnecessarily. Having said that, my PDA locks up or crashes twice a week anyway so I rarely have to reset just to free up memory!

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back