Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xcopy from W2k over network problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddlink

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
SE
I've noticed a little bug(?)

When I try to copy/xcopy a hosts-file from an W2K machine to another W2K/NT4.0 machine, the destination system doesn't recognize the new hosts file:

C:> xcopy \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts \\machinename\c$\winnt\system32\drivers\etc /C /Y

The copy works, the file looks fine on the destination when showed with a normal type or even with notepad. But the system wont recognize the file (or any hosts-file settings) until I open the file with notepad and save it again (untouched) or a reboot.

The same procedure from a NT4.0 machine to a NT4/W2K machine works as it should.

HI.

Try deploying your HOSTS file in another way, like using login scripts.
Place the source file in NETLOGON (or other shared folder, better with read only), and use a login script like

(first check in the BAT file that the OS is NT or W2K)
XCOPY \\SERVER\NETLOGON\HOSTS %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

But I think that a better solution is to implement internal DNS server WITH INTERNAL DOMAIN NAME, and not use HOSTS files.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for your reply Yizhar.

Unfortunately we are members of a trusting domain and I do not have any administrative rights to do so. And the administrator do not want to have that extra administration.

Yes, you are right. A DNS server would definately be a better solutions to the HOSTS file. But there are many reasons why we use HOSTS along with DNS at the moment (its by design :) ).

For the time being i'd really like to find a solution that includes the HOSTS file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back