Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xcopy from NT 4.0 Serv. to XP Pro "Backup"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin59

MIS
Dec 3, 2002
US
Trying to build a coping type backup from an NT 4.0 Server, to an XP Pro Workstation on the same network. I'm using Xcopy from the XP box because I can not figure out how to schedule something through NT. I want to schedule a "Backup", actually just copy all files on C, D, E, F to a USB 2.0 connected HD on the XP Pro workstation. I would consider something else if it where available. Any help is appreciated in advance.

i used to do copy backups for people's userareas, but the drive kept running out of space. i use winrar with a commandline as long as your arm to compress individual folders.

i think it's better to pull the files than push them.

to schedule on xp - write a batch file (.bat) with all your dos commands in. create a schedule thingy in control panel/scheduler
run as many as times till u know it works properly.

===============
Security Forums

Hi Robin59,
You could try using Robocopy from the res kit. I think it is better than xcopy. Also use WINAT from reskit for your scheduling or just the in-built one with XP under ctrl panel as suggested previously.
Umm, couldn't you map your drives and use the backup built into XP, to do the job?? See also:

Cheers,
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back