Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xcopy command

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Hi,

I am trying to copy files from my NT server to a spare disk on my w2k workstation. I am using the xcopy command which works well, but so far I have not been able to copy the ACL and file permissions across (even though I have used the /O switch). I am running the script from my w2k machine. Any other ideas. Once I have this sorted I will use the robocopy command to maintain this "quick backup".

Does anybody know if the xcopy command and/or the robocopy command can be used copying files to a NAS box. I am not sure if this is possible as the NAS has it's own permissions etc.

Chris

how are the two different disks formated. Is one NTFS and the ohter FAT?

For SCOPY, XCOPY, RoboCopy, to be able to copy permissions, you need to be using the same security database.

For example, you can not copy domain based permissions from a server to a stand alone workstation. This is because when the data is copied, it can not retain the permissions because the stand alone workstation is NOT part of the domain. If the stand alone workstaiton is NOT part of the domain, it can not attribute the Domain users to the NTFS security.

Make sure your computer is part of the domain, and the original NTFS are using domain based groups (not local server security groups- you won't be able to translate the local security groups to you local machine.)

-late

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back