Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

x86 XP printer drivers to x64 Win2K8 print server

Status
Not open for further replies.

brk1221

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
How do I add 32bit XP printer drivers to my Win2K8 x64 server?

I've followed a few how-to's on the web without success. I've tried adding the printer through "Print Management" and "Devices and Printers"

On the 32bit XP machine I can browse to the printer but when It tries to connect it says the correct drivers are not available.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

It is easy enough to do but do you have 2008 R1 or R2? As they are configured differently.

Not sure what you mean by matching version and type. I ultimately want to go around to my XP 32bit machines and browse to the network printer and have the driver pushed down. Is this possible?

When you download the drivers for your printer from the company's website, make sure you are downloading the same version for both 32bit and 64bit and the driver name is the same. Look at my screenshot to see what I'm talking about.

Well Ive made some progress. From a windows 7 machine, I browsed to the print server. Clicked on "View Remote Printers" on the toolbar. Right-clicked the printer and chose properties and then the sharing tab. Clicked "Additional Drivers" button and checked the x86 box and clicked "OK". It then began to copy all my local print drivers to the server. After that, from an XP 32bit machine I'm able to connect to the network printer and have it push down drivers. So far so good.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back