Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X500 Directory Names - How to add to EX2003? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkirill

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
So we are also having a problem with internal mail bouncing back. I've seen the fix by adding the old x500 directory name as a Custom Address. But since our old 5.5 server is gone, I'm not sure of the nomenclature for adding the address?

Can anyone give me some pointers for this? Or point me to an article somewhere witha 'walk-through'?

TIA!

If you have just a few, You can add a custom email address through ADUC. If you have many, you'll want to do an ldif export of the proxyaddresses attribute for the users, then convert to a modify and add the X500 addresses, and import it back with ldifde.

Thanks for the reply! We're really down to about 15 users (out of 30) that are problematic so adding them in the ADUC is not a problem. Having very little experience with Exchange 5.5 I'm just unsure of the proper format for for the address.

Would the process be something like this(assuming John Doe had a valid 5.5 mailbox, his user name was johnd, and the old server was MAILSERV):

Select new Custom Address

Under Email Address enter something like:
c=us;p=MAILSERV;o=exchange;s=d;g=john;

Then under Email Type enter X500

Is that right?

You know, I searched and search MS for an article just like that and never found it. Ugh!

That was just the thing I was looking for. Once I had the proper format I was able to put in all the correct information. Now it works like a charm!

For anyone else who is looking for a solution, I'll add that I was able to find the correct x500 address by opening the NDR and checking the properties of the intended recipient's email address which was displayed in the /o=organization/ou=site/cn=Recipients Container/cn=alias format.

Thanks again, xmsre!

You can cut and paste the X500 address from the NDR as pkirill states.

If you have a lot of them, you'll want to use ldifde to export the proxyaddresses of the users, add the X500 addresses, munge it into a modify format, then use ldifde to import the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back