Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X450e-48p cannot log in

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddudley54

Technical User
Feb 7, 2012
US
Having an issue with a Extreme X450e-48p switch. It was initially configured in a stack and is no longer in that stack. We did not get it unconfigured before removing it from the stack. I have tried setting the "config none" option from the bootrom as well as tried downloading our most current image and to no luck it does not reset the passwords for admin or failsafe. If I type in our password that it should be set to I just get login failed. If I type in the username with no password I just get login failed. This is after setting the config none and downloading image to the device. Any ideas as to how else you can get the passwords reset?

From the concepts guide:
"Another example is the case where you dismantle a stack before using the unconfigure stacking or
unconfigure switch all command. In this case, individual Summit switches are configured for
stacking, not master-capable, and are isolated from a stack master.
In this situation, the only security information available is the failsafe account. If you know the failsafe
user name and password, you can log into any node and reconfigure master-capability or redundancy.
However, if you do not know the failsafe account information, there is another way you can change the
configuration.
At the login prompt, enter the following special login ID exactly as displayed here (all uppercase letters)
and press Enter:
REBOOT AS MASTER-CAPABLE
The following message appears:
Node reboot initiated with master-capability turned on.
This node then sets an internal indicator that is preserved across the reboot. While restarting, the node
notices and resets this indicator, ignores the node master-capability configuration, and becomes a master
node."

then: unconfigure switch all

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I did try this from reading other forums and it did not work. I figured out the problem though. I actually had to run the reboot as master-capable from the Bootrom for some reason. This was done after I did a config none to reset the password for the admin account.

At that point I was able to do the reboot as master-capable and then I was able to log in to the switch and do an unconfigure switch all.

Not sure why every document I read says to do that at the login but it didn't allow me to. It wouldn't even reboot just sit there saying login failed. If anyone else runs into this problem try running this command from the Bootrom instead. Worked for me anyway.

I have done this before also, and I was able to use this command when the switch was still indicating it was waiting for the RADIUS login information, or whatever the message is before you get the login prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back