Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X226 RAID setup trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldBuilder

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2007
US
Hi all,

I have an IBM x226 with the built-in AIC-7902 SCSI RAID controller. My current drive setup is this:

~ (4) 36.4GB drives in RAID 10
~ (2) additional 36.4 drives that are not in a RAID configuration.
~ All (6) drives are on the hot-swap backplane, channel B.

I wanted to replace the two additional 36.4GB drives with (2) 300GB drives, but I wanted them in a RAID 0. I've been told by someone else in a different forum that I can't do this because I've reached the RAID cards limit.

So what I want to know is can I eliminate two of the four drives in my current RAID 10 and turn it into a RAID 1. Then, can I add two more 300GB drives and place them in a separate RAID 0? Would the card support me doing that?

Finally, I am only testing now so I can wipe any configurations without issue. I wanted to try this out just with the drives I already have (before spending money on the 300GB drives), but I can't seem to change anything in the current configuration. All the options in the SCSISelect program are grayed out except for "Spare". I can't seem to delete my current RAID 10 array. Do I need to format the drives before being allowed to change anything?

Thanks, everyone!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back