Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X225 Upgrade Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolahouse

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
I had a working X225 (8647-2AX) server running Windows 2003. I ran updateXpress on it (ver 4.06)and it updated the Bios, Serveraid 4Lx, Nic and LSI card. Upon reboot I have lost all video that is no POST at all but I get 3 constant beeps (beep, beep, beep pause beep, beep, beep pause).
The system was set to boot from CD first, that no longer works. It is also refusing to read the floppy. I tried the BIOS recovery trick (removing jumper), tried clearing the CMOS, stripped the system to the board alone but I still get the beeps and no POST.
The system is not under warranty anymore and IBM wants $1254 to look at it.
Right now I've got a comatose system. Can anybody help me. Please.

Tolahouse

Ahhhh, Update Express strikes again. UE is a nice tool when it works but this is a perfect example of what happens when it goes haywire. It kills your machine.

You have basically done everything that can be done and what you have now is a boat anchor. I have never been able to figure out why sometimes UE kills machines but I think it is a combination of letting the program decide what files to use to update and it trying to update multiple components.

Either that or your machine was fixing to die anyway and the updates just triggered it.

Either way it sounds like you need a new sysbrd. I have never known anyone to get a system working again after having the problem with UE that you have. As a last ditch effort you could remove the CMOS battery and let the machine sit for a good 15 minutes if not more without the battery.

I kinda thought that it maybe the system board put I've been trying to put that out of my mind and now you confirm it.
Any pointers on where to get a cheap system board to replace this one?

I had tried the CMOS battery out of the system for about 4 hours with no joy.

Thanks

Tolahouse

You might try updating the system Bios. There is a way to force an earlier version of the Bios out.

Also i think I remeber somethin about the bios keepin the previous image and you move a jumper on the system board to retrieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back