Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X225 need to create 2 mirrors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

999Dom999

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
I have an X225 with the hotswap bays in the front, currently 2 x 36Gb(OS) drives are mirrored. I want to add an additional 2 x 146Gb(data) drives and mirror them.

I have booted the ServeRaid cd version 7.12 and I don't have the option to create a second logical drive, its there but not selectable. Is this because you are limited to one array per controller??

I am rebuilding this server so I can break the current mirror, is it possible/ is it best to use all 4 disks to create a mirror then partion the OS and Data??

Since raidmanager does not give you that option most likely you are using the onboard raid controller. That controller is limited to a single raid 1 array.

You could however do a software raid if you wanted.

No not transfer adding to. I have now used a hardware mirror on the 146Gb and will software mirror the the 36Gb. The 36Gb will be used for OS and the 146Gb is all data.

Thanks Ibmtech I think this is the best option without having to buy another raid controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back