Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X205 and ServeRaid 4LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHelp

MIS
Apr 2, 2002
I was wondering if someone can help me with this issue I am having.

I have a x205 running exchange with a single hard drive. I want to mirror the drive so I've added a ServeRaid 4LX for that server and an identical hard drive. When I create a mirror will I lose the data? What is the best way to creating the RAID and retaining all the data on that drive?

Thanks,
CA

Short answer: NO.
Reason: The normal scsi controller does not stripe in a set order like the raid card so the raid card will not be able to read your data.

Correction: YES. CA is not talking about using the SCSI controller, he's going to add a ServeRAID controller. The best way to preserve your data is to perform a complete backup (then test resotring it). When complete, use the ServeRAID Utility CD to create an Array and a RAID-1 Logical Drive, then restore your data to the "new" disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back