Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X12 Reference Question - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWillard

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
US
I am currently looking at the X12 Standards book. I am try to learn about a particular segment. The Data Element Requirement Designator is set to 'X'. What does this stand for? The other available options are M, O/Z, O, X, X/Z, M/Z.

I am assuming the following, but I need help with the rest.

M - mandatory
O - optional

The reference book I am looking at does not describe these attributes to their meanings. Thanks in advance for your time.

X tells you that there is a Relational condition on the element. You need to look at the Syntax Notes for the element(s). Z tells you that there are notes on this element that you can find in the Semantic Notes. Both of these should be found immediately after the Data Segement definition, providing your Standards book has them. see pages 9 and 10 section 3.7.2.2.3 and 3.7.2.3 in ASC x12 4010 Manual for further explanation.

Thnaks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Any recommendations to what books I can buy for a list of the published standards?

The following web site is the governing body for developing such standards. They also sell documentation. Look under the quick links drop down list in the upper right corner.

TWillard,

Other than purchasing books directly from DISA, are there other publishers who have books that are cheaper? Also when I purchase a book i.e. release version 4010, will that include VICS X12 4010 + the regular 4010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back