Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X12 832 mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanj

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
Hi Everybody,

Never have an experienced with EDI. I'm being tasked to create
data mapping of an EDI 832 format(catalog??) which would result
into a flat file loaded onto an MSAccess table.

I have little experience mapping data using Mercator 5.0 and found out it has a sample X12 type tree using 4030 version.

Can I use this type tree to map the data? What if data comes
from different partners?

Truly, I don't even know where to find X12 standard documentation and how things work..

Any help from you GURUS will be greatly appreciated.

You can find X-12 documentation at DISA.ORG. There are software packages for X-12 documentation, such as EDIFECS,
or Foresight. But it also sounds like you may want to check out AIAG.ORG for their EDI101 course, just so you
understand the interchange structure.

Good Luck with your Price Catalog project.

Just a late comment, keep in mind that you have a sample version 4030 832 tree, but do you know if the X12 file is going to be a version 4030? If it's an old version, like 3020, it may look very different with different segments and fields. DISA standards are very useful, but they are not cheap. Most companies doing normal EDI just pick one standard to use, get DISA documentation for that version, and then do without for the exceptions.

I couldn't find any EDI training on the AIAG.org website. EDI 101 is a course offered by EDI Partners in Minnesota. They offer the class in different parts of the county at different times. Check
I also teach EDI 101 and ANSI X12 Standards by request in Northern California. I use the EDI Partners training materials.

Rosalind Rogoff
My Training Dept., Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back