Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X.x.X.X. Linux package installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morsing

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
GB

Hi again,
I need your help. Me and my father have now almost ten times tried to install this crappy Linux distro that insists on installing two gigabytes of consumer toys no matter what we do. I don't want to name names, hence my strange subject line.

The problem is that no matter how we do it, it doesn't react at all to the packages we select and deselect. We've tried the 'selection' option and 'RPM group' option and even tried setting 'Taboo' on all the useless groups like 'KDE', 'Gnome' 'Office', etc.

NOTHING WORKS. It just started installing two Gigabytes again. KDE, Gnome, games, etc.

What is the solution (if there is one)???

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Could you go as far as saying what version of SxSx Linux this is???!!! ChrisCW

** Helen Waite is now in charge of all rush orders. If you are in a hurry, just go to Helen Waite.

If you use RedHat, use CUSTOM instead of choosing Server, Workstation, Laptop.

Then you even define more granular which packages to install. You will still have to satisfy package dependencies.

Unfortunately we paid £70 for this "professional" version of their product. It's the newest one, 8.2 I think.

My father is installing it at work (the whole network is down until this works) and I have to give phone support.

We just found out that it's because the 'detailed selection' doesn't work. He had to choose 'minimal' from the top menu and then, after installation, use RPM, searching through all the CDs, to install everything. (Minimal really means minimal, locate, lpr, etc. is not there).

YaST can't be used to install (or delete) individual packages afterwards because it immediately installs KDE and Office programmes!!

I've tried to convince him to switch to Debian but he prefers something he knows.

Does anyone know if it's a bug??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

If you bought it, then surely you should be able to contact their tech support?? I have contacted them before when I had a problem with their Mailserver product (paid £1000 for it!!) and thankfully their support was very good.

Worth a try??
ChrisCW

** Helen Waite is now in charge of all rush orders. If you are in a hurry, just go to Helen Waite.

Well, my father doesn't speak any of the supported languages and I'm nowhere near the computer but I'll give it a try.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back